- Organisation: The Hunger Project New Zealand (THPNZ)
- Location of applicants: National
- Duration of appointment: 3 years
- Time commitment: Average 15 hours per month
- Remuneration: Volunteer
- Application closing date: 01/02/2018
ABOUT THE HUNGER PROJECT
The Hunger Project (THP) is a global, non-religious, non-profit organisation working to end world hunger. We believe that hunger can end, and ours is the generation that can eliminate it once and for all. In our ‘Programme Countries’ across Africa, South Asia and Latin America, THP empowers people to lead lives of self- reliance, meet their own basic needs and build better futures for their children. We believe people who currently live in poverty are not the problem – they are the solution. The role of our ‘Partner Countries’, across North America, Europe and Oceania is raising awareness, fundraising and leadership programmes.
For hunger to end we all have a part to play; governments, business, society, and people like you.
As a relatively young and small partner country, The Hunger Project New Zealand (THPNZ), is well positioned to leverage the work of others, especially the strong brand of THP Australia, and grow our networks, partnerships and impact. We seek to inspire actions that forward the end of hunger by partnering with individuals, key communities and businesses. Our short-term priorities are building solid foundations for growth and expanding networks and partnerships towards increased fundraising and investment in our Programme Countries.
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
THP has a strong brand, a proven fundraising and leadership development model and the desire to be key player in ending hunger and poverty. THPNZ is starting a new phase in its journey and 2018 will be a year of organisational consolidation as we build our team, professional expertise, fundraising platform and develop our strategic plan for the next 3-5 years.
A number of directors are retiring from THPNZ as we enter this new phase and we are seeking several non-executive directors to join the existing small team, specifically to support our new CEO. These roles will appeal to anyone passionate about making a difference locally and globally, and meaningfully contributing their time, skills, energy and networks to the end of hunger through empowerment of people, transformational leadership and self-reliant strategies. You’ll have an expansive, proactive and courageous mindset, see the opportunity and have a willingness to drive growth in New Zealand.
The experience and skills we are seeking from new board members are:
- We are seeking directors with prior governance experience, one especially from the not-for-profit sector in New Zealand. If you do not have prior non-executive experience, you’ll fit one of the following:
- Ideally at least one of our new directors will have hands on experience (ideally as an executive) growing a similar organisation: someone who has ‘walked the talk’
- We seek directors who have relatively well-established connections and strong networks, specifically in NZ’s corporate and/or SME community
As a guide, we expect an average time commitment of 15 hours each month. Board meetings will be held every second month and we embrace technology to enable a truly national board. Other likely commitments include using specific skills and expertise to help build sub-committees to support the CEO in delivering the strategic plan.
We anticipate the roles starting from March 2018 for an initial term of three years.
- Please download the application form and complete the selection criteria and skills questions
- Once complete, send this form and your Board CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Successful applicants will be invited to one or two interviews with key members of the team